Contact Information

You are here

ELD Support

General Questions

For general questions regarding electronic logging devices (ELD) or automatic on-board recording devices (AOBRD), please review our frequently asked questions (FAQs). If your question is not addressed in the FAQs, submit your question to FMCSA at

Agricultural Operations

For additional information on agricultural operations, please visit our website or email us at

ELD Malfunction Extension Requests

A motor carrier seeking to extend the period of time permitted for repair, replacement, or service of one or more ELDs may request an extension per 49 CFR part 395.34

If you would like to file an ELD malfunction extension request by email, please submit your extension request to Include the legal name, principal place of business address and USDOT number of the motor carrier.  The extension request must include the following information:

  1. The name, address, and telephone number of the motor carrier representative who files the request;
  2. The make, model, and serial number of each ELD;
  3. The date and location of each ELD malfunction as reported by the driver to the carrier; and
  4. A concise statement describing actions taken by the motor carrier to make a good faith effort to repair, replace, or service the ELD units, including why the carrier needs additional time beyond the 8 days provided by 49 CFR part 395.34.

To request an extension from the FMCSA Division Administrator in your state's field office, you may contact the office directly. FMCSA Division Administrator contact information can be found here.

Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2018
Submit Feedback >