You are here

What are carriers required to do to obtain and keep a Hazardous Materials Safety Permit?

Carriers will be required to:

  • Maintain a "satisfactory" safety rating in order to obtain and hold a safety permit
  • Maintain their crash rating, and their driver, vehicle, hazardous materials or out-of service rating so they are not in the worse 30 percent of the national average as indicated in FMCSA's Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS)
  • Have a satisfactory security program (according to section 49 CFR Part 172, Subpart I) and associated training (according to section 49 CFR 172.704(a)(4) & (a)(5)) in place
  • Maintain registration with PHMSA
  • Develop a system of communication that will enable the vehicle operator to contact the motor carrier during the course of transportation and maintain records of these communications
  • Have written route plan required for radioactive materials set forth in 49 CFR 397.101 and for explosives in Part 397.19 (currently required)
  • Perform a pre-trip inspection (North American Standard (NAS) Level VI Inspection Program for Radioactive Shipments) for shipments containing highway route controlled Class 7 (radioactive) materials

There will be a process for issuing temporary safety permits, revoking and suspending a safety permit, and appealing decisions to suspend or revoke a safety permit.

Last Updated : April 15, 2014
Submit Feedback >